Pages

11/15/10

We tend to die young (my dedication to Messy Mya)

R.I.P Anthony "Messy Mya" Barre



Preface: I am not outraged because he is from New Orleans, I'm not outraged because he's "famous". I'm outraged every time someone dies for a senseless reason. I was outraged when the 2 year old was murdered last month. I was outraged about the Derrion Albert situation.



Coo or Messy Mya whatever you chose to call him, he was a real person NOT a character. It seems like everyone in New Orleans knew him or his cousins, he wasn't just someone on YouTube. I only met him once 6 years ago. He was hilarious. He wasn't rude or vicious, he didn't seem to be a person with cruel intentions or hate in his heart. He was just a comedian. Like all comedians he may have made people uncomfortable but that's comedy. No one ever shot Archie Bunker and that man was offensive. You don't have to love what he did but don't say he deserved to die for it. Murders, rapist and drug dealers may "deserve" death but not a comedian. If someone deserves to die for making fun of people we all should be dead.

I haven't been able to sleep. I keep thinking about him. WHY? Even if you give me a reason it wouldn't make it better. I'm somewhat happy (I know that sounds wrong) that we were forced to see this picture. Seeing him dead means we can't ignore it. We can't say "oh this happens all the time". It's a reminder to us that he was alive. Maybe the reason it hurts so much is because you saw him dead. It seems like everyday someone dies in New Orleans but we don't see that persons bullet wounded body so we don't consider them "real". It's just another dead person with no identity.

Now did we become so numb to violence that a person has to be killed in front of us for it to be real??

All I can say/do is pray. I pray for his family, his friends and his unborn child. I pray for all the families who've lost someone due to violence.

2 comments:

  1. This is da realist shit ever..not because anthony!! but because that came from tha heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your same feelings. I met him at NOCCA. I had been there a year or so and I knew what it was all about. Anthony, as I knew him, was shy somewhat (hard to believe, I know). He didn't know what NOCCA was about, esp. with all the white folks. I got the sense someone made him come. But still, he was very fiesty and friendly to me. I took to him and just remember thinking I just wanted to make him feel a little more comfortable instead of feeling out of place...I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and although we didn't know each other for a very long time he remembered me..gave me a hug. My gf standing beside me knew a different person. "Coo" as she called him. Her version of him is probably a bit different from mine, but either way he was a great enough person that he touched many people in many different ways and that is a truly good person in my opinion. He didn't deserve to die. Forever in our hearts REST IN PEACE.

    ReplyDelete